From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 10:20:55 -0400
Other than the typical keeping
cages/bedding/carpets/walls/furniture/house clean -

Keep work clothes, including underwear, away from the ferrets, tucked
safely in drawer/bins with a dryer sheet. I use scented dryer sheets
when drying and in the bins, Gain has a strong scent which lasts
awhile - it can sometimes be over-powering initially. Be careful when
mixing scents, make sure they compliment each other.

Closets hold odors. Hang clothes in storage bags with dryer sheets in
them.

When you get home, change from work clothes to home clothes. If work
clothes don't need washed that day (slacks/jeans might be worn more
than one time), put them away immediately so they don't gather odors.

After doing ferret laundry, rinse washing machine with bleach before
washing work clothes. Wash work clothes frequently. As soon as laundry
is done put it away.

Shoes can pick up odors - if they can't be washed in the washer, wipe
clean with scented cleaning cloths, don't forget the bottoms.

Shower in the morning washing hair every day right before leaving for
work.

Coats/sweaters will pick up odors - I leave mine out in the car so
they don't pick up ferret scent.

There are many clothes refresher sprays out now - if light odors are
apparent, spritz the clothes and shoes you are wearing lightly.

Avoid musk scented perfumes/colognes/shampoos/body washes/soaps. Some
people relate this to ferrets smell even though it isn't.

Some people and pregnant woman can be especially bothered by certain
scents that may seem minimal to others. A woman I know was bothered
by Old Spice aftershave - even when it was barely noticed by others.

If someone doesn't like you, or doesn't like ferrets, they may complain
of ferret smell even if there isn't any, just to be mean/petty.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org