From:
Jessica Luebke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:59:57 EDT
Hi

I have a small problem.  I have two ferrets, Buddy (4 yrs) and Buster (3
yrs).  They get along just fine.  No problems since Buster was a baby.  We
just got a 4 year old cat (Brutus) from the Humane Society.  The cat is
getting acclimated to her new environment and is a real sweetie.  (Yes,
she.) I have never had a cat before and am having trouble assessing her
response to the ferrets.  Buster seems interested in playing but Brutus
will slink back into a corner if he gets too close.  Not a lot of hissing
from either one (Hey, does anyone else have a ferret that hisses?) Brutus
is also declawed on her front paws.

The biggest problem that I fear is Buddy.  Buddy was an abused ferret
before I got him 3 years ago.  He has since recovered from the trauma but
hates ferrets.  It took a long time to get him to accept Buster.  Whenever
he is around another ferret he gets this glassy look in his eyes and starts
to stalk them.  It can be quite frightening.  If he manages to get a hold
of the other ferret, he attacks and will literally try to kill it.  Buddy
is quite accepting of dogs but has never been exposed to cats before.
Whenever he sees Brutus he gets that same glassy stare and positions into
attack mode.  I love Buddy dearly and don't want to subject him to any
unnecessary trauma but once he gets over the kill phase he is happy to have
a pal.  I also don't want to traumatize poor Brutus more than she has been.

So, any advice on how to successfully integrate these three without any
blood shed would be greatly appreciated.  Please e-mail me directly ASAP
with any advice <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks,
Jessica, Buddy, Buster, and Brutus