From:
Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:43:40 -0700
My deepest thanks to the many, many of you who sent loving words of support
and comfort.  The understanding and empathy of this ferret community has
helped ease the pain a little and remind me that I'm not alone.  I've tried
to thank everyone personally; if I've missed you, please know that I'm
grateful.

Craig and I took our two living fuzzies and Taz's body up to my parents
country cabin on Sunday.  While Jasper & Baxter looked on, we chose a
suitable resting place in the V-shaped roots of a large pine tree.  The
sunshine was muted and fell dappled onto the needles and pinecones.  The
v-shaped roots looked like a mother's arms reaching out to protect whatever
fell within her embrace; a mother to hold Taz long after I am gone.

After the post-mortem, the vet had thoughtfully sewn Tazzie back up and
arranged her just like she was sleeping curled in a ball- they even wrapped
her in a towel just like she slept in her cage.  I was a little hesitant to
unwrap the towel, but she just looked like my own dear girl, fast asleep.
But cold, so cold.  We stroked her still-soft fur and looked on her face
one last time.  We brought out Jasper & Baxter and let them sniff her and
say goodbye.  They kept sniffing her ear, licking it, looking for her smell.
When they were ready we put them back down and they curled into a ball and
fell asleep, tightly wound together.

We laid Taz to rest with all the things she loved best.  A long twist of red
licorice between her paws, and two whole handfuls of raisins and a favourite
toy into her personal sleep sack, where we placed her.  We put her, curled
in the sleep sack, into a small wooden rug-covered house Jasper & Taz used
to use.  And then we placed her in the ground.  We put an oregon grape bush
on top of her grave; I think she would have loved snuffling under the ground
cover it will provide.

Some of you may think this morbid.  But I know that my healing has been
cleaner by not trying to deny my loss and "get on with life" without first
saying a true goodbye to one I loved dearly.

Ariel, Jasper & Baxter