Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:10:55 -0800
I just wanted to say a heart felt thanks for everyone that sent a
Thanksgiving card to our shelter.

They couldn't have come at a better time as we've been pretty low
around here this past year on the human end of things. With the sudden
loss of my best friend, my Dad at 65 and the diagnoses of stage 3 colon
cancer in my sister, age 40 in September, my world has been turned
upside down. My uncle is still fighting bladder cancer, but it is
beginning to look like his New Years gift will be losing it (as long as
the cancer goes with it!). He's been staying at my dad's house for a
few years but now that dad is gone and his cancer needs major surgery
it looks like he'll be moving - sigh!:( - closer to the Bay Area for
treatment, much to the disappointment (though understanding) of me and
my girls......looks like we'll be on our own up her in the great north
as far as extended family goes. My health, thankfully, is just fine and
all tests for colon cancer are clear.

The woozles are well, but our (10) permanent shelters are getting older
and it looks like we have an adrenal cropping up.....either that or old
age fur loss......just waiting for a few test to come back this week.
We suffered the sudden loss of one of our favorites, aptly names socks,
two months ago. Necropsy revealed nothing obvious, just a thought
towards a probable heart problem....labs as to ingestion or infection
were negative, but a few markers came up for heart issues.....no
heartworms, but a slight hole was found. He was great one day and
incredibly sick the next. He died in my arms waiting for the vet
to get in from another emergency......sob.....broke my heart, yet
again......but they all do....Sarah, my 5 year old still cries over
him. He is buried in what will I am sure one day in the future be
the site of much wonder......our ferret memorial in the yard under
the redwoods where he frolicks and plays with all the the others that
have crossed over the bridge.

As always, we can use ferret food, ferretone, ferrevite, hammocks and
most especially, veterinarian funds. Nothing has come in this year in
that regard and truly, with so many family health issues at hand, I
have not had any time at all to get to any fundraising (Scotty, wish
you were here!). We are in arrears close to $1100 at present, but with
the adrenal most certainly coming up, that number will raise. I know
things are tight this year, but if everyone who read this sent in
$10-20, we'd most certainly get caught up.

Despite it all, I know how blessed we are. I have a wonderful husband,
two fantastic little girls, some incredible friends, a stable job
(well, three) and my health.

And, I had the wonder and ahh of raising two long tailed weasels from
days old to release at 12 weeks this summer with the help and long
distance advice of both Scott Sinclair and Travis Livieri and, as of
two months after release they were doing well (in the small glimpse I
caught of the fur blurs that flew by over the log and into the rock
pile). I haven't seen them since, but they've acres to hunt and many
gopher holes to stake a claim on, moles to eat, etc., etc., so.....

To everyone out there.....may you enjoy Happy Holidays and may the
New Year bring you much love, happiness and peace!

Sunni, Jim, Samantha & Sarah
SunFerret Shelter & Rescue