From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:41:53 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3097

>I was asked yesterday if I wanted to adopt a female ferret about 1 year
>old, from a guy that couldn't have her anymore.  I was also told that
>she was in heat.

Dear X:

Adopting a female in heat means that you will have vet bills right away.
The first thing to do is have a complete blood count done at your vet -
to ascertain whether she is anemic and how bad the anemia is.  If she is
weak, and pale when you get her, the anemia may be advanced.  However,
also remember that only 50% of jills suffer from anemia as a result of
persistent estrus.

Regarding treatment - if her blood count is over 25%, don't worry about
the shot - just have her spayed.  A shot may be benefitical for ferrets
with a hematocrit less than 25%, to buy some time until she is a stronger
surgical candidate.  IF the blood is less than 15%, a transfusion and the
shot will be necessary.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM