From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:58:05 -0800
I, too, have had expensive or unpleasant experiences with vets.  However, I
feel that I must post this to show "the other side."  Recently, two of my
ferrets required surgery.  One surgery had already been scheduled as an
exploratory.The other surgery was a tumor that had grown literally overnight
on Cooper's forehead.  We did both surgeries the same day and, as usual, I
was present during the surgery.

On the first ferret (Roxie), my vet did a splenectomy (which we anticipated)
and checked the adrenals and pancreas.  Roxie was given antibiotics and a
natural remedy for liver problems (he has started to use natural products
more frequently).  The spleen was sent in for a pathologists opinion.  On
Cooper, he had to remove the malignant tumor which was quite invasive and
required massive reconstruction.  The tumor was sent to the pathologist also.

All told, he spent 3.5 hours in surgery with my two ferrets.  And as he
explored around the abdominal cavity, I learned a lot by using the time to
ask questions of him - kinda like a kid; "what's that?", "what function
does it play", etc.

My bill: $257.00. Yup. That's all.

I have a great raport with my vet.  He voluntarily gave me his home phone
number years ago which I use sparingly and only for true emergencies (when
you have about 15 ferrets, these occasionally happen).  I take my animals
back to him frequently for rechecks following acute or chronic illnesses and
they get a yearly checkup with him.  (I give distemper shots at home,
however.) I hand out his business card whenever someone asks about a good
ferret vet.  I also remember him at Christmas and have a "Christmas in July"
present for him to let him know that I appreciate his help in keeping my
companions healthy.  I forward copies of any new or different treatments to
him that I see posted on the FML.  I research material on the internet for
him.  Recently, I asked him if he wanted information about his practice
submitted to Pam's vet database and then submitted the data when he said
"yes."

Having a good vet is a two way street. Have you done your part lately?

    -Carla Almaraz