From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:11:38 -0800
>From:    Melinda <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferrets in Leviticus
>Ferrets in Leviticus?  I happen to be in a Hebrew Bible course and just
>read Leviticus last week.  I don't remember any ferrets going any way.

Exactly!  That is correct.  There are those that use a bad translation of a
Hebrew word that I believe was better translated as lizard or such to prove
ferrets are in the bible.  Whatever the proper translation is supposed to
be is one of the unclean animals you shouldn't eat.

So ferrets are badly translated as not kosher <grin>.

>From:    "Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Pet store babies
>Finally, on the kits being too young at 5 or 6 weeks:  I have been reading
>that for the past year.  I understand that is the majority opinion and the
>feeling of most ferret owners, but I have yet to see one solid piece of
>proof, one scientific study, that this is actually harming the fuzzies.

There are no scientific studies that I know about on this.  Our reason for
waiting until the kits are older is that normally you have to force weaning
this early.  There is no scientific evidence that early neutering causes
problems but there is much easily detectable evidence that it appears when
neutered that early, ferrets do not develop as sturdy a skeletal structure
nor as strong a muscle cover.

But ferret kits are delightful at that age!  Hope this didn't come off as
a flame.

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets