From:
"Grable, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:18:33 -0500
Hi-

Monitoring the ferrets' glucose levels, as well as being able to establish
patterns, is a great idea.  Although, I'm not sure if the calibration would
matter, or whether human or ferret blood would make a difference in its
accuracy.  If you haven't already, you could contact customer service, and
someone there should be able to tell you.

I also want to say that if you plan to use one of the many automatic lancet
devices available, my personal suggestion is... DON'T!

I was diagnosed twenty-nine years ago with Type I Diabetes.  So far, after
a pancreas transplant in January, I am insulin-free!  I checked my level
three to five times a day, every day.  I always ended up with a
long-lasting and very painful bruise.  No matter the manufacturer, depth
setting, etc.

It hurts me to think of how a ferret would feel, only once a day.  I
pricked my fingertip manually.  I just poked it with the lancet myself.
Much less pain and trauma.  It usually only took one try, too.

As for clipping a nail to collect blood; I wouldn't, unless that was the
only option.  Luckily, I have never clipped an animal's nail short enough
to cause it to bleed.  However, I once cut our German Shepherd's nail a bit
too short.  She NEVER forgot it, and from then on it was a challenge every
time.

Sincerely,

Sonya

P.S.  Don't know much about the laser meter, except that the manufacturer
is somewhere in Arkansas, Little Rock, I think.  I would guess that its
somewhat expensive though.  Seeing as how any "new" technology always is.