From:
Velma Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 04:15:56 EDT
I read Sheila's post on the ferret attacking the kitten.  It was so sad.  I
had to offer a prettier picture.  At the time we found this kitten I had 2
ferrets.  Scout a female and Max an albino male.  Max was not your normal
sweet ferret, he was more into <please, enough with the hugs, let me down
so I can get to the good stuff>.  But Max and Scout lived together happily.
They had a 3 level home with a hammock up top that they adored and tons of
t-shirts on the bottom for tunneling and taking naps in.  My daughter found
a kitten one day and we began nursing the little thing.  Max zipped from
the cage one day and carried the baby to the t-shirt pile and covered the
kitten.  We would take the kitten but Max wasn't happy until we gave it
back.  Once we knew he intended no harm, we let him have his baby.  He would
pull the baby into the hammock and then Scout and then himself.  Then he
would arrange Scout on one side of his baby and then he would curl around
and over the other side.  If the kitten tried to get up Max would lay him
back down.  When Max got up he would drag his baby down to the bottom and
put the kitty to potty.  He would sit there until the deed was done.  If the
kitty moved, he would sniff the box.  If there was no fresh business he put
the kitty back.  If the kitty had pottied then Max would potty.  The kitty
would wait for Max.  Then Max would drag kitty to the feed and they would
all eat.  If Scout had not come down yet, Max would "yell" for her.  And
kitty was not allowed to eat until Scout came down.  When all was done Max
would drag kitty back up top to snooze in the hammock and that goofy kitten
would just hang from Max's mouth.  I finally took Max's baby away from him
when it reached 8 months old.  I was afraid the kitten would be warped and
Max would get hurt from bossing something so much bigger than him.  Max was
poisoned by one of my reject neighbors 3 months ago.  He was 3.  I also lost
Beau, Belle, and Blossom to the poisoning but I still have my Scout who is
about 6 now.  I think the only reason I still have her is because the little
hard head refuses to eat ANYTHING except Meow Mix.  Since losing all of my
babies I have teamed up with a woman and she helped me to finally convince
Scout to give up the yuck food and now she will eat Iams.  I never thought
of mixing them until she accepted the new food, DUH.

I also bought a male, Chrissy, who is about 12 weeks old now.
Velma