From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 17:05:45 EST
Hi,
Bubba <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I think people are paranoid about chocolate.  My dogs eat chocolate with
>no adverse effects.  Mind you, I don't give them 20 pounds of the stuff...
>I just flick them an M&M or two.  ...

>I am not advocating the use of chocolate as a treat, just stating that we
>are too worried about something that is just silly to worry about.

Well, yes and no.  Check out http://www.prodogs.com/dmn/gooddog/page97.htm
which essentially says:

Methylxanthines (caffeine and obromine are the harmful substances in
chocolate.  Human tolerance is greater than dogs (although this applies to
most animals).  It takes about 2 - 3 hours for these substances to clear
the human body, but18 hours to clear the dog's body.  A lethal dose of
milk chocolate in an 11 pound dog is about 10 ounces and a lethal dose of
Baker's Chocolate is about 1 ounce.

Bitter Baker's Chocolate is the most toxic because it has the highest
concentration of methylxanthines.  Milk chocolate, like in M&Ms is the
least toxic.  So, as long as you are CAREFUL about what kind AND how much
choclate they get, the ferrets can probably tolerate a bit.  But I
certainly wouldn't use Baker's Chocolate!

Kim and The Terrific Trio