Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 09:37:54 -0500
Some info on Georgia and Avon Skin So Soft.

   >Also, is Georgia a FFZ?  I've heard it both ways.
On ferrets in Georgia-in a nutshell:

Ferrets CANNOT be BOUGHT OR SOLD in Georgia.
Ferrets CAN be owned in Georgia.
Ferrets MUST BE innoculated with IMRAB, and documentation from a vet
  stating such in Georgia.
Ferrets MUST be spayed/neutered by approx the age of 9 months (sexual
  maturity) by state law in Georgia.
There ARE shows and organizations in Georgia for the domestic ferret
  owner (ownee??)

   >I just read on issue 728 about using Avon SSS... Is this
   >really OK for ferrets? I'm not sure what all is in it or
Avon Skin So Soft can be used several ways. It involves diluting
as a 'dip', of about 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water. It's use here,
is after a bath and thoroughly rinsing the ferret, it is DIPPED
fully into the solution, then dried. This provides a deterrant for
mites, fleas and ticks.
Also, on the 'ear cleaning', do NOT use the Avon SSS, use mineral
oil, or the 'sweet oil' mentioned on a swab. This was recommended by
our vet. Should a TREATMENT be needed, ONLY USE a PRESCRIBED ear mite
medication from a VET!! He also said the 'over the counter' medicines
seem to be useless. Mineral oil will plug the 'breathing pores' on
the mites, so regular cleaning with an Avon SSS Dip may help in
problem areas to keep the problem in check.
Also, a lesser dilution can be applied to a rag, and used to
'towel down' the ferret, to 'freshen' it between baths-eliminating
the desire (read-need) to bathe the ferret more than once a month,
in DRY CLIMATES and in winter, this can be beneficial, as it
minimizes excessive drying of the skin, keeps the coat conditioned
and shiny, and is better for the ferret than exessive baths. If the
ferret's coat gets 'greasy' or 'clumpy', the dilution was not
enough. A teaspoon to a quart or half gallon of water would be a
good test. I imagine a light 'misting' from a spray bottle, and
worked into the coat by hand or towel once a week would work also.

PLEASE BEWARE of chocolates and caffeine with ferrets! The natural
ingredients in chocolate (caffeine and coca derivatives) CAN get
their little hearts a racing into cardiac arrest. Same with coffee,
tea, and MOST soda pops! Small tastes, regulated only!!

Paul in MI
This tagline has 34% protein, 20% fat, & no artificial preservatives.