From:
Dave Dennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 01:47:00 -0500
Subj: multiple replies

RE: Ferret drooling:
AD>was she just day-dreaming of kitty treats in her half aware state?

I have not had any of my ferrets drool, however, two of my cats do it
constantly while I am holding them and they are purring.  It does not
sound like something to be alarmed about.

Re: Furniture clawing
AD>        She has taken to clawing at the furnature when she is
AD>playing. Is there any way to get her to stop, or is this common?

All my ferrets claw at the bottom of the furniture, especially pieces
they cannot get underneith.

AD>Also, she has no interest in ferretone and I am curious about this.

I use soft vitamin fortified cat treats (Bonkers).  My ferrets love
them.  You can substitute pieces of Happy Cat cat food also, as they are
small, soft and treat like.

AD>nose  flicking thing sounds good, but I don't want to do it so often
AD>that she won't like me anymore.

I think its more of a play thing, I would guess she will just assume you
are the dominant ferret if she loses the nipping game to often.

RE: To Dr Williams + other subject

AD>amount of bacteria of the species Mycobacterium avium.
AD>My questions are: have you heard about this bacteria before,
AD>do you know anything about the disease, can it be spread by air or
AD>by contact between animals, how can it be diagnosed (we would
AD>like to check that our other ferrets don't have it), can it be
AD>treated, and if so can we do some prophylactic treatment on the
AD>others? Is it also contagious for us?

First, I believe its primary form of transmission is from birds, and
bird droppings, picked up on shoes, clothes, hands etc.  Dr Williams can
probably confirm that as well as diagnosis methods.  It is contagious
for humans with suppressed immune systems (your ferret, being old,
probably also had a suppressed immune system).  It is one of the primary
opportunistic infections which is fatal to AIDS patients, and why
several AIDS doctors recommend against a patient keeping indoor birds as
pets.  I have never heard of a healthy human having any problems from
this.   Hope that helps, and my sympathies for your loss.

Dave

----
The Ferret Bulletin Board System  (501) 791-0124
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Carrying RIME, Throbnet, UN'I, and Usenet