From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:04:11 EDT
Most shelters fall in to one of two catagories as far as finding someone to
take care of the ferrets when they travel.  Either they have a couple of
volunteers that come over, or they pay someone to do so.  Some just never
travel.

In my case, I have a person who is a grad student, and works p/t as a vet
tech who I pay to come in daily.  A couple of the "special needs" ferrets
get farmed out to a friend and shelter volunteer's home while I'm gone,
as the ferret sitter only comes in once a day.  I try to keep the shelter
numbers lower when I know that I have a lot of travel coming up so I don't
overwhelm the sitter --I found a really good reliable one I don't want to
lose.

I'd give you two thoughts.  Rather than one person (volunteer) coming in
every day you are gone, how about splitting it up between people?  Either
that, or find someone to pay.  Cash does wonders... Ask your vet's techs
and receptionists, ask at a local college with a vet tech or animal
husbandry program, etc.  Check references!!  (3 of them, one was a
professor, one a previous housesitting client, and one the vet the sitter
works for).  When I'm going to be gone for more than 2-3 days, I have a
friend who has a lot of ferrets stop in and check on everyone, just to
make sure the sitter isn't missing anything.

So far it's worked really well.  Be sure to leave a note authorizing
medical treatment, including euthanasia.  Most if not all vets will not
put down someones animal, no matter how bad it is suffereing, even if
there is no hope for recovery, unless they have the owners permission.
In the note also agree to pay the charges.

Best of luck to you!

[DA]