From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:36:24 -0400
I was just thinking about that disgusting scam which a shelter operator
recently talked about on the FML where there are people who turn ferrets
in to shelters to get medical care then adopt them out again or have a
friend do it.  It hit me today that if the shelters who share mutual
trust and respect in an area formed an informal grouping they could
(after a period of time) exchange ferrets so that the people who try
this would never be easily able to find the same one again.  That might
be an effective measure for further reducing this behavior.  On drop-off
the people would be warned beforehand with something like, "We have a
cooperative arrangement with other state/regional shelters so it is
important that you know that your ferret may be transferred if the
chances of being adopted out are higher from a different shelter than
this one."  If they ask where they are that may be a warning sign and
could be replied to with something like, "It depends on which ones have
room at any given time but all of them have been reviewed and meet the
same high criteria as we do."

I know that this wouldn't work for all, might work for some in modified
form, etc.  Other possible solutions/suggestions?  I am sure that not
being a shelter I have missed a number of salient points and that these
may differ among states depending on regulations so comments and
corrections are appreciated to turn this into a learning experience.

It's a shame that people who commit such appalling rip-offs, hurting
such very good people, don't just arrange to foster ferrets when possible
which would cover much of the medical care.

If this post annoys someone who has done this, sorry, but I have to say
that i simply don't care because such behavior frankly is incredibly
wrong and needs to be stopped.

BTW, for those who are having trouble with vet bills, among the things
you check into do see if there is something you can do to off-set costs.
I've heard of people who did bookkeeping for vets, created websites for
vets, cooked for vets, cleaned cages, etc.  Hey, it helps...