From:
John Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 02:15:29 -0400
Hello all.....I've had at least one Ferret gracing my home since
1990,.....and as of 5/31/08, 10pm, this streak has ended with my loss
of "Katie", (Katrina), to Insulinoma, and possibly another nasty,
undiagnosed taker of life, bringing to ten the number of gravesites
in my back yard.

As said once before here on the fml, and backed up by a 'former' New
Jersey resident, the # of "Ferret-Wise" vets here, at least in South
Jersey, stinks! After losing my 4 'elders' in 2007, I was left with
a tiny hooded sable, who hated other ferts, but loved people. Never a
bite, plenty of kisses, all this & just over a pound. She came to me
from my local spca with her "cagemate", abandoned in an apartment for
5 days. Her so-called cagemate was "Bear", my huge DEW, who left this
world in my arms on 7/8/07 with 'screaming seizures', while I was on
the phone with a very kind vet in Ma., who called ME because of even
kinder people there in New England. I say "so-called" cagemate, because
whomever possessed these two babies, had them in a homemade 'chicken
wire' cage, "SEPARATED" down the middle, keeping these two with little
more than the ability to touch noses! Hence, I presume, the reason for
"Katie's" dislike of other ferts. Medical "guesses" put them at about a
year old when I picked them up,.....right after Hurricane "Katrina",...
and this little girl was a true hurricane when out to play with me! My
'new' vet, "specializing in small animal medicine & surgery", had only
been used for a sub-Q injection on another ferret, and when Katie was
seen for symptoms of the Insulinoma, it was decided that this was the
case. "Prednisolone", soups, 'tone, 'vite,....and an appetite as big as
a horse for high protein Tot. Fert., made things look at least "level",
for now.

From this, to finding her snuggled in her bedding that Sat. morning,
cold & in that 'old' comfy looking curl, complete with the tail wrapped
around the front of her face..........I couldn't write till now,...
couldn't believe that now ALL the cages in my room were empty.......18
years, ....couldn't believe it. I'm still catching myself getting ready
for "Ferret-Time" each night!......& then the 'smack' in the back of
the head........'not tonight'. If not for my Dog, "Judy", there would
be only one heartbeat here when I'm home!

For now, I need the rest.....82 yrold Mom in nursing home, coming
home soon to hospital bed in their living room with 7day 'visits' by
"Bayada" nurses, my 86 yrold Dad there 24/7, large 2story home, walks
with cane or walker,...and me, driving there every day for making
dinners, help, locking up each night, and everything else that may be
needed. I will have more Ferrets, probably soon, as the spca calls me
when they come in, very infrequently, (I hope that continues). The
fml will continue to be my little "Haven" to read, post, smile, and
communicate with other "old friends", and new ones.

TO THE BRIDGEGREETERS:.......Please welcome a very lonely sable girl,
and maybe she can slowly learn to "snuggle" with my gang that's there
already>>>> Pooky, Scooter, Jocko, Misty, Jason, Lukey, 'Bear', Tyler,
& Ruby!!......."Katie" was about 4-5 years old, no tattoos, just love!

Thank you all who have helped me over these years,...and I hope to talk
again! My prayers go out to all who have lost or are caring for sick
fuzzies!

Dooks..John Rich N.J. USA.
john rich <[log in to unmask]>