From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:00:49 -0800
Dear All,

Together we said goodbye to 2008. It was a year that started off
with so many of us still dealing with issues from the Ohio Rescue.
Throughout the year those ferrets found loving and patient homes. The
economy took a whack, and anyone that shelters or transports, felt the
impact through utilities increasing, the cost of ferret food, and of
course with the price of gas soaring up to $4 and beyond. Still, there
were ferrets that needed to be rescued, transported to shelters and
homes, and taken to the vet. The shelters were over-populated with
all companion pets from desperate families that lost their homes to
foreclosures. In 2008, we needed each other¢s cooperation and support.
I think we all joined arms and did quite well. Through it all, SOS was
there for each and every one of us, helping out where they could, and
when they could. Thank you SOS!

Several months ago the days, weeks and months started running together,
it was difficult to keep up with the requests for surrender. Then late
in November I started receiving Thanksgiving cards, and they continued
even afterwards. They meant the world to me. The Giving Tree was an
incredible challenge for Kris and his team, and thank you for bringing
so much cheer to so many, including myself. To this day, some of the
best friends in my life were made through their kind deeds of them
playing Santa to Rocky¢s kids. I thank all of the Santas that
participated in the 2008 Giving Tree. (pssst I need Santa Tony C to
contact me please)

2009 is going to be filled with challenges, as more families are
displaced with foreclosures and our economy struggles. I hope that
the need to adopt and foster from shelters is realized by those that
have room for just one more, and especially to those that are looking
to share their lives with their first ferret. I hope that the large
breeding farms realize the plight of the ferret shelters and pulls
back on their production.

Truly, 2009 is going to be a year of old and new challenges, and I know
that we will find our way through the maze of it all and be successful
with our missions to rescue and protect, and most of all educate.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's