From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:26:58 -0500
You asked.....

I believe that even in a shelter situation ferrets should be out of cage
at least 4 hours a day, divided into at least 2 times a day, with social
interaction during those times.  If the ferrets are in a free roam shelter,
kept in their own room, they should still be let out to roam other parts
of the house BECAUSE that one room is just a cage to them, or if that is
totally impossible, the caretaker should spend QUALITY time with the
ferrets in that room twice a day.

You want to know something maddening?  I know someone whose ferrets don't
get out every day yet this person tells me they do when I know they can't
or this person would never sleep.  It nags at me and breaks my heart to
know that someone I trusted has chosen to not follow my example and
suggestions... that this person is harming their ferrets...and that this
person deceives me....sigh....

I don't understand the problem on individual homes not allowing the ferrets
out adequate and required time.  If it takes time out of your personal
schedule, well then so be it.  YOU are responsible for the happiness of
the ferret that YOU took on.  Leaving them pining away in a cage is
UNACCEPTABLE.  Not cleaning cages every single day is UNACCEPTABLE.  Not
spending quality time with them is UNACCEPTABLE.

It is also UNACCEPTABLE for shelters to do, or should I say not do, the
same.  Cleanliness, activity, socialization is all part of your
responsibilities.

Let me lock YOU in your bedroom closet for 3 days and see how you like it.
I'll check in on day 3 and MAYBE I'll clean your messes up or maybe I
won't!  A ferret has only a few years to be here with us and you are going
to leave them in a cage for days?!  How can you do that to such a loving
trusting dependant creature????

I get so angry I could just spit!  (and for those that know me, that is
darn angry).

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services