From:
Stephanie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:24:09 -0500
Please help! We recently brought home 2 adult male (neutered) ferrets
who have had to remain in a cage because when we let them loose in the
room to join our other 4 ferrets, Rascal (male, neutered) sniffs them
briefly and then bites down hard on back of neck and shakes them. The
more confident boy, Mokie, runs into a tube where he can defend himself
but Bandit just tries to run away and gets very upset. If I pick him
up, he snuggles into me and does not want to be put back on the floor.

Interestingly, when we brought home Rascal a year ago (with his female
friend and another ferret from the same shelter, same cage) he also was
very aggressive with the existing ferrets. So whether he's new or old
he's the alpha. But Bandit's screaming and fright breaks my heart.

Some people have suggested a bitter tasting substance on the back of
Rascal's "victims" but what is safe for the ferrets?

Thanks for any advice!

Stephanie
Rascal, Thumper, Possum, Zoe, Mokie and Bandit
(dearly departed: Felix, Baby Bear and Pixie)