From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:19:21 EDT
On Renal Failure:
I'm not a vet, but when a ferret gets a foul, "fishy" odor to it's breath,
it's usually a sign of renal failure.  My experience has been a fairly
fast, and often not pleasant death following the onset.

I hope people who know a lot more about this will post some detailed
medical info on renal disease in ferrets.  I know there are some treatments
that will ease symptoms and prolong life, but I don't feel even remotely
knowledgeable enough to comment.

On holiday donations:
With the holidays coming, please remember to set aside a small amount for
donation to either the SOS Shelter fund, your local shelter, ADV research
or the Morris Animal foundation.  And don't forget to check to see if your
employer has a matching funds program!  If you can't afford to donate money
or supplies, how about your time?  If there isn't a ferret shelter near
you, most areas have a shelter of some sort that would love to have you
come and help clean cages, do filing or other office work, or otherwise
help care for the animals.

Anne