Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:35:41 +0000
As I sit here scrolling through the FML I am shocked at the nit picking
and constant request for details of numbers while splitting hairs we
are so missing the forest through the trees here. I am a bean counter
by day working for a mortgage company in a very tough market at present
and happy to still be employed. No Christmas bonus this year my boss
woefully informed me, and I smiled at him and said that I was very
happy to be working and receiving my paycheck, and thanked him. My
significant other was just layed off yesterday with no new work in
sight until Spring. So we agreed no presents to exchange between us
as we are greatful to have a roof over our heads, warmth in the rooms
and food in the refrigerator.

Both early in the morning before and to the wee hours after work I tend
to the ferrets. I am a fairly new home based shelter in a time when
other shelters who have been around for years and years are closing,
I am happy to still be here making a way to help the ferrets everyday
We also took in nine of the Ohio Ferrets, we initially asked for four,
figuring we could financially and physically meet the needs of four and
still help out in a very small way.

Despite the huge financial challenge we were surprised with nine and
felt blessed and honored to be helpful to the big rescue to welcome
them and do whatever we had to to help them. This includes many of
the things that Lori dealt with on a much tinier scale, food, litter,
cages, volunteers, initial medical care, follow up medical care, more
medical care and continuing medical care. At the end of this year the
shelter is very much in the red. We were one of the first two shelters
who submitted their paperwork for a small reimbursement of spay and
neuter assistance but because we are fairly new and could not provide
a lengthy history of blood ADV versus the saliva tests we have not
received any funds. The receipt of such funds would probably help us
to test all of the current and any ferrets coming in.

No matter we weren't in it for the money or prestige anyway, we are all
about helping the ferrets and the people who love them.

I prefer to count my blessings and the ferrets are my blessings.

I get to hug the hospice ferrets while they are still here when so many
other people have had theirs to to the bridge.

I had fun at a ferret giving tree party and was able to donate some
items to help other shelters and have fellowship with other local
ferret people.

I got to see two ferrets dance and play again restored to health after
being so malnourished as they were left in a foreclosed house in a
hamster ball. I got to thank the kindly neighbor who cared enough to
drive an hour to find me to help them.

I saw the relief in someone's eyes as they were forced to surrender
their beloved ferrets as they lost their housing due to her landlord's
foreclosure who only had three days to evacuate the premises, providing
comfort and a hug to her that her two timid ferrets would be safe with
me.

I watched a smile come to a wife's face as they opened their hearts to
another new ferret after their ferret had passed away and her husband
who had returned in one piece from Iraq and they were a family again.

I have three wonderful people who volunteer to help the shelter when
some shelters have no volunteers.

I got to go to the mail box and open wonderful Thanksgiving cards from
people who don't even know me thanking me for doing what I do every day
for the ferrets and it made me smile in the cold wind. To them I will
be returning the favor by sending them a nice ferret Christmas card in
return.

To you all I am wishing you all the very blessings that I have
everyday, and ask you all to forgive each other.

As they say "Tis the season"

Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care