From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 20:24:06 CDT
Last message, honest!  (I'm not doing much to diminish length today, sorry)

In defense of BIG who apparently wasn't around to catch the comment, when he
said `I don't think aspirin's a problem here' I feel confident what he meant
was that it wasn't a problem *in pepto-bismal* i.e., there's none in there.
I really don't think he meant it wasn't a problem in general.

[Moderator's note: Thanks, Laura, but I actually did mean that I don't think
aspirin is toxic to ferrets, as someone remarked.  They are sensitive to it, I
believe, but it *can* be useful in the proper dosages, no?  BIG]

As the worst offender in the length of today's issue, I'd like to comment on
it.  Believe it or not, I do what I can to make my comments short, and I'm
sure most do.  But when important issues are being discussed, it's tough.  I
think some of the suggestions mentioned are great, but USENET is almost
certainly not the answer.  Consideration, however, is.  I think the best
suggestion was good subject headings, which is what I tried to do today, and
will continue in the future.  But really, I don't think it's that tough to
scan the issues for what we're interested in.  For instance, although many
may get tired of repetitive medical cases, sometime there are intricacies I
as a vet student am interested in, particularly in the doctors' replies --
for me this is a valuable learning tool and if the doctors started replying
only personally I would lose that.  True I could go to a vet board for that,
but to be honest they're no where near as fun to read, and certainly not as
ferret-specific.  I'm sure the same sort of situation exists for others who
are interested in other topics.  This list *is* getting big, and the issues
longer, but since that means so many more viewpoints from so many more ferret
lovers, I really don't see how that can be anything but good.  Certainly well
worth the time it takes to scan for the stuff I'm interested in!

Okay, I'm done now!  :)

Laura