From:
Donette Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:42:03 -0700
Hello everyone,

It has been awhile since I have written.  One of the most important things
we do for our babies, in my opinion anyway, to be there for our beloved pets
when the time comes that they have to be put to sleep.  It is a much more
traumatic incident to your fert if you are not there.  There are two methods
of euthanasia.

One is kind, which is having the vet give an overdose of a sedative to your
pet and to let them fall asleep in your arms and never awaken.  It takes a
few minutes and they go from an awake state to drowsiness and then they just
don't wake again.  This is the method I would always want for something I
love so much.

This is how I had Scooter put to sleep when he was hurting and it had to be
done.  It was hard for me but I needed to be there for him.  After finding
out how the vet would do it if I wasn't there I decided I couldn't let him
be hurt anymore then he was.  He was my whole world and had been there with
me through some tough times...how could I abandon him then.  The other way
which is used if you are not there is harsh, at least to me, that involves
an injection directly into the heart, yeah the pain and shock to the animal
only lasts a minute and then they are gone...but what a terrible last
minute.  So be there for them.  Although it was painful for me...his death
was devastating one way or the other, I have the memory of doing the right
thing for him at the end.  The memory of the experience comforts me in that
he was comfortable and in my loving arms at the end.  After the injection I
held him and talked to him.  When I called his name he looked at me and knew
I was there.  He just became a little more tired and less responsive until
it was over.  I carried him home in my arms and lovingly laid him to rest in
my backyard under a favorite tree.  It was hard but I am proud to have been
there for him.  Be there for your little Scooter.  Treat them the way you
would want to be treated if you were ill and dying.  Give them dignity and
enough love to carry them until you meet again.

Love to all,
Donette and John
Scooty2 (8 months, sable male)
Hershey (7 years, albino female)