From:
Jessica Rickards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 21:13:49 -0700
Whew!  It's been a while since I've written, so...intros first.

I have 3 ferrets, Claudia, one of Sam in NZ's beautiful ferrets is a little
over a year old.  Bailey and Julia, whom I adopted from Rick Roller here in
Salt Lake, who are also both gorgeous (no, I'm not prejudiced!  ), I'm not
sure of their ages, but prolly both 2-3 yrs.

My problem is this: I made Vicki Henderson's awesome crocheted hammocks for
my guys, and Claudia insists on chewing on them!  She's already chewed
through one (dumping a very indignant Bailey and Julia to the floor of the
cage), and is chewing up the replacement too.  She doesn't seem to swallow
the yarn, although I did hit the Petromalt heavier than usual when she
chewed through it, just in case, since I couldn't tell how much she might
have swallowed with it in 2 pieces.  But the new one is only slightly
fraying where she chews at it, so there' not enough missing to worry about.
But I've tried scruffing, time-outs, Tabasco sauce on the places she likes
to chew (she just finds new places).  Does anyone have any suggestions on
breaking her of this habit?  Not only do I worry about her swallowing yarn,
and having to continually replace the hammock, it makes a VERY annoying
sound when she chews on it that is not pleasant to wake up to at 3 am.
Please help if you can!

Thanks!

Jessica and her Party of 3 (so far)

Claudia