From:
TinyPrints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:57:44 -0400
Well, here at TinyPrints Ferret Rescue, we have seen alot.  I have gotten
in ferrets who have ear mites, poor coats, dirty ears and uncut nails.
We are in fact at our Shelter Limit right now, due to all the intakes we
have had in the last couple of months.

Yesterday, while I was attending a Pet Auction, two ferrets came up.  Now
when they do, if I have the money or room and they go at a reasonable
price, I have been known to purchase them, because frankly the people
who attend these auctions are scary!  So these two ferrets come up, one
looked to be a VERY small chocolate female, the other a sable male (just
by his larger size).  I had not seen these two ferrets before they were
up on the auction block.  I bid a bit on them but had to restrain myself,
due to the lack of room, and my husband is already having a fit with our
high vet bills which we are struggling to pay off.  So they went to
another bidder.  Before they could pick up the aquarium (filled with
cedar bedding), I noticed the one ferret was staggering.  (Smaller of the
two).  I tried to get over the section they put them in after they were
sold but they would not let me.  I recognized that stagger as one I have
seen with Low Blood Sugar.  I went over one isle and tried to get a look
but the ferrets were laying down and I was unable to see in between all
the duct tape on the aquarium.  So I just decided it was out of my hands,
they were probably ok.

Towards the end of the auction (about 2 hours later) someone said the
ferret was in distress.  I immediately knew my Low Blood Sugar feeling
was correct.  I told them I needed to see the ferret immediately.  One
lady was going to get water, she thought that would help.  That is all
the ferret needed.  I knew that was not going to work.  So I ran and got
pancake syrup from a food stand at the farmer's market attached to the
auction house.  This ferret is so thin, it is absolutely beyond words.
She was staggering so bad she could not even stand up.  She was shaking
so bad that even wrapping her in my shirt did not stop her.  She lapped
up the syrup like she had not eaten in weeks (which now I do believe is
true).  We then went and got food which I purchased there, added warm
water and mixed it up......they ate like they had not eaten in weeks!  I
am lucky I was in public, because I would have cried or better yet, beat
the living tar out of the man who brought them in.  And to make matters
worse, the aquarium they were in, had broken glass which fell into the
aquarium and was only being support by duct tape.  That poor little girl
ferret had her food wrapped around the glass and was stuck.  Trying not
to get bit, because she was going to eat me if she could not get to food,
I had to get her little foot unstuck from the cage without cutting it on
the glass!  I told the person who bought the ferrets that they were
extremely sick and NEEDED TO SEE A VET IMMEDIATELY, to which they backed
out of the deal.  They spoke with the ferret owner (who brought them to
the auction to be auctioned off and got their money back.).  I then spoke
to the owner (in a very nice tone, which I surprised myself, because
these ferrets were starving to death).  He said he would just take them
home and get them better.  When explained that these ferrets would not
"Just get better" and they would require round the clock care, fluids,
and vet costs, he allowed me to take them.

I am sorry, but you know, these are the worst case I hope to see of
animal cruelty.  The girl weights if we are lucky a 1 lb- 1.5 lbs.  The
boy is also skin and bones, but in better condition then she is.  I got
her home immediately and my friend Caryn and I got them in, got their
nails and ears cleaned up, and gave her fluids.  She also got my AD
mixture and ate the entire bowl of food over night.  You should see her
face between yesterday and today.  It is like a new ferret.  She was
literally starving to death.  If she would have went home with that
owner, she would be dead and I think she knows it.  She is snuggled in
soft towels and baby blankets.  They have a nice warm cage, with plenty
of food and water.  Her name is now Calista, which we thought was
perfect.  It means "Beautiful One." And the Boy is named Harrison.  If
you would like to help us out with their ongoing expenses, it would be
greatly appreciated.  Their photos can be seen at:
www.tinyprintsferrets.com/calistaharrison.htm

The shelter and all the ferrets has been taking a toll on my personal
bank account.  In order to continue to do what I am doing, I need some
public support.  If you can spare even a $1.00-2.00 it would be greatly
appreciated.  Even if you need to purchase something ferret related,
anything would help.  I have ferret sweaters, jackets, Santa hats,
reindeer antlers, alot of ferret related items for sale for everyday use.
(Bi Odor, Ferret Lax, Ferrettone, Ferretvite, Yogies).  I will be happy
to sell these things at a bit above cost just to get the money to support
these kids.

This little girl is now on Ped. Pred ($30.00/month) until I know her
blood sugar problems were due to the starving issue and not tumors.  She
is also getting fluids to help her with her dehydration issues.  This
pair will be here for a long time, until they are ready to be adopted
out.  They need alot of weight gain.  The AD canned food is $25.00/case
alone.  Thanks again for your support!  And hug your ferrets today in
honor of Calista and Harrison.

Marguerite from TinyPrints Ferret Rescue
TinyPrints Shih Tzu and Rescue
http://www.tinyprints-shihtzu.com
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue
"The Hilton Of Ferret Rescues"
http://www.tinyprintsferrets.com
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Ebay and Half.com Stores
http://www.stores.ebay.com/tinyprintsferretrescuestore
http://half.ebay.com/shops/shops.jsp?seller_id=1093064