From:
Laurie Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:30:31 -0700
Hi all,
I wanted to send out a special ferret hug to Troy Lynn, as I know how hard
it is to lose a special one you've cared for so intimately.  I've just
rejoined the list after a long while away.  Some might recall about 3 years
ago I wrote the FML looking for help for my ferret Tinker, who I suspected
ate a banana peel and through the help of Meg, referred me to Pat N.  of
Obidiahs and Dr. Edwards of Brockport Animal Hospital here in NY.  We had a
miracle then, Tinker survived that ordeal and stayed on a duck soup diet
the remainder of his life.  Around the end of August we noticed a cough,
gave him antibiotics, but it worsened and he had a tremendous fluid build
up even though we had him on Lasix, and added Cardoxin for his irregular
heartbeat.  This all happened within a months time and by October 4th, he
was struggling just to eat from my fingertip.  I knew it was time; although
the walk up to the animal hospital door was the longest walk I ever took.
I had to put him to sleep and I knew that I had to be strong enough to be
there with him; after all, he relied on me to live through these last 3
years; and actually I relied on him to get me through these last 3 years.
He was my soulmate; and I know that sounds ridiculous in human reality, but
Tink just seemed to know when I needed a hug or a quick kiss to brighten my
spirits.  He actually knew when to give me a kiss to get what he wanted.  I
really don't know how I got through that first week without him.  I thought
my eyes would exploid from crying so much.  His best buddy Koty searched
the house over and over again that night and just kept going in circles
trying to find Tink; it was horrible to see that.  I just can't believe
that it happened so fast; Tink was so healthy up to the last week in
August.  I never gave any thoughts to one of them not being there.  Now I
know they can be gone in an instant.  I give even more extra special love
to the rest of my fur kids and my human one of course.

It is very hard to have a normal day after you have cared for a sick ferret
for any length of time.  My normal day was feeding Tink every few hours his
duck soup between play time and sleep time and my college classes and home
chores.  But the last month or so, everything was on hold to give Tink my
full attention and hold him throughout the day.  It is very hard to go from
that constant attention to not holding anyone (my other kids only like to
be held for a split second at a time, were working on it).

But I did find a few things to help and it may help others who
unfortunately have to go through it too; I bought a special angel charm
to hang close to my heart so when it got real tuff I could hold it and
think of my guardian angel Tink.  I finally was able to lood through the
extensive photos of the fur kids and pick out 2 special ones to get
enlarged, and it turned out to be lifesize and I had it up on a speaker and
I couldv'e swore it was Tink sitting up there one night.  I also realized
that Tinker can eat regular ferret food where he is now, and I know how
much he craved it.  About 3 days before he left us, I saw the most
beautiful white bird flying with the normal barn birds locally, and I knew
that was a sign that Tink would soon be an angel too.  I'm sure Tinker and
Ulysses are running around getting into much ferret trouble where they are
now and dooking up a storm for sure!!  Sorry this post is so long folks..

ferret hugs,
Laurie Kramer
( Koty, Comet, Jasmine, Isabella and of course the Tinkerman)