From:
Lisa Vible <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:38:50 -0400
I have an awful story to tell.  My daughter and I were in a pet store
this Sunday buying supplies for our 3 beautiful boys.  I was getting
ready to check out and a gentleman behind me said oh do you have ferrets?
I said yes we have 3.  He said well we had 2 ferrets but we had to put
them to sleep.  I said oh my where they that sick that they couldn't be
helped?  He said well they started to nip people and wouldn't stop.  I
said what???  You put them to sleep for biting?  He said well he called
petco and told them they were losing hair and biting and he claims they
told him the ferrets had distemper.  I said you mean to tell me they
didnt have a distemper shot.  He said well no.  I said all animals need
distemper and rabies shots always.  He said well we didnt know.  I said
you have a dog here (he had brought his lab with him to the store) does
she have her shots.  He said well yes and I said well why didnt your
ferrets have their shots?  I said losing hair and biting is not distemper
its adrenal disease which can be cured!  I said distemper is a horrible
horrible way for a ferret to die and it sure doesnt sound like they had
distemper!  I said did your vet do tests on them because how could any
vet put any animal to sleep without knowing whats wrong with it.  He said
well I didnt take them to the vet, petco told me they had distemper and I
took them to the SPCA and had them put to sleep there.  I said why didnt
you try to contant a ferret shelter in your area or take them to a
knowledgeable vet?  He said well we didnt know.  He said I would have
paid for the surgery for the adrenal disease.  I said well its too late
now!  I was so upset I wanted to just slap him silly but I kept my cool.
I said those ferrets could have lived a longer life with the proper
treatment.  He said well we have a large cage do I want it.  I said I
didnt but I gave him Oxford Ferret Rescue's number to call.  I said I'm
glad you wont have any more ferrets.  As we were leaving his girlfriend
grabbed me and said to me their family didnt know anthing about ferrets
thats why they didnt get vaccinated and they did love the ferrets and
took care of them.  I said well if you love your pets you must take them
to the vet and you must vaccinate your pets no matter what kind you have.
I said ferrets are wonderful animals, they are companion animals just
like a dog or cat and they should be treated like that.  She said yes we
know and we wish we would have met you a few weeks ago.  I said please
dont get any more ferrets and contact a local shelter to give them your
cage.

Muldoone, I dont know these ferrets' names but find them and help them
to understand that their humans did love them but didnt know any better.
Make sure they have lots of friends and are happy at the rainbow bridge.
Sandee, please pray for these ferrets and pray for humans who have
ferrets to become educated about these wonderful animals so maybe this
kind of thing wont keep happening.

Lisa