From:
"Sandy E. Schieman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:06:10 EST
Paw Paw does not know that I'm writing this.  He's very tired and very
depressed tonight and, thankfully, he's snoring really good right now.  I'm
glad.  He needs the rest.  Please don't tell him that I sneaked out and sent
this.

He was very happy when Mee Maw agreed that it would be OK if Bear came to
live with us.  He was sad when he learned that Bear had already been adopted
into a good and loving home.  I think what really saddened him the most was
receiving two letters that had nothing to do with anything that has happened
recently.  He had thought that those issues had been resolved or laid to
rest.  Some, appparently, do not feel the same.

Neither of us has ever, intentionally, tried to hurt anyone.  Our postings
have always been intended to share the joy and happiness that results when
ferrets and human- type people come together.  To us, it is a very special
thing.

Perhaps we are naive and childish.  So be it.  We just cannot understand
why it is that some people go out of their way to show off how important
they think they are.  I thought that this list was about us fuzzy little
critters - not about people trying to be more important than the rest of
us, and going out of their way to be cruel to each other.

Paw Paw and I have chosen to walk the path of his Native American ancestors.
We choose to ignore those who go out of their way to cause hurt to other
people.  I know that this causes him great pain, however.  He is, after all,
a human person.  He is not as fortunate as I am.

I ask you, therefore, if you do not like what he, or I, have to say, just
ignore us.  Please do not send us hurtful letters.  Please do not unduly
criticize anyone else who posts here, and please don't send them hurtful
mail.  We have as much right to our joys, sorrows and opinions as you do.
We would never presume to put you down for what you have to say, unless it
hurts us, or anyone else.

I look forward, every day, to reading about my ferret brothers and sisters
on this list.  I don't want to have to shake my head and comfort Paw Paw &
Mee Maw, simply because they choose to love me a little differently than
someone else would.  I certainly would not want to live with people who
insist upon sending these hurtfull letters.  So please stop.  You are
welcome to your opinions.  Please keep them to yourselves when they have
nothing to do with ferrets.

(Sorry, BIG.  Paw Paw has just received too much unpleasent mail from
members of this list for me to remain silent.  I love him and that should
count for something.)

Tater

[Moderator's note: For the most part I think the folks on the FML are just
WONDERFUL! so, I'm saddened to hear reports like this.  While there are
certain to be some disagreements given a group this size, I hate to think
the FML helps to facilitate hurting others.  I only know one side of this
report, though there have been other, similar, complaints recently...  I
hope such behaviour is not destined to be a permanent "side-effect" of
subscribing to the FML.  BIG]