From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:37:59 EDT
This is kind of neat:

We had a little visitor in our garage last night.  We were outside talking
to some neighbors last evening when I saw a little brown streak run by the
garage.  I thought it was a squirrel or mouse or something.

After our neighbors left I went into the garage and I heard some rustling
around and saw another brown streak.  Our visitor had run into some 4 inch
drainage tubes that we had assembled for our ferrets.  They had grown tired
of this toy, so we had put it in the garage for a while.

A little head poked out of the end of the tube and, surprise, I think it
was a tiny little weasle.  This fellow was not really scared of us.  We
were standing over exclaming about how cute he was and he kept poking his
head out at us to see what we were doing.  He inched out of the tube and
wandered over to a cat carrier that was also in the garage.  He ran right
through the bars of the carrier, he was that small.  He hung out in there
for a while and we took a few pictures of him.

Unfortunately I am a moron, and while downloading these pictures to the
computer I managed to erase all but one of them.  That one picture is
posted at this web address.

http://members.aol.com/LWhit16066/weasle.jpg

I would like for some weasle knowledgable person to look at it and try to
tell me if, indeed, this is a weasle, what type it is and whether it's
full grown or not.  What do they eat?

He was about 4-6 inches long.  Dark reddish brown, with a white bib, and
white tips on his toes.  He also had a tip on the end of his tail, but I
can't remember if if was white or black.  When we first spotted him he had
a tuft of cat hair in his mouth and was running in front of the garage.  We
picked up the cat carrier when we were done looking at him and slid him to
the back of it.  We carried him around to the side of the house and let him
out.  It was so funny, he ran along the wall with the same kind of
hump-back as the ferrets.  Then as he got to the back of the house he took
off across the yard, hopping as fast as he could go!  He ran back to a
little creek that runs behind our house.  By the way, we live in central
New York.

Anyway, even if you don't know much about weasles check out the picture!
He was so cute.  If he comes back I will try to take more pictures.  (I
have a sneaking suspicion that he's an outside sympathizer with the FLO,
and was trying to get a message to Special Agents Fargo, Kami, Fonzi and
Moon Boy.  That will only make his actions harder to ducument next time.
He's out there somewhere.)

Thanks,
Leigh