From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:05:05 PDT
I'm told all you hoomans are friends to ferrets.  Well, I'm not too sure
about that since I've never had a chance to find out.

Let me tell you a little about myself.  I'm a big, very handsome boy, with
the brightest orange coat I keep flaunting for the jills if someone would
just put one in here with me.  My Mom says the vet is going to "fix" that
desire next week but I don't know what that means...are they finally
bringing me a jill?  Do the jills not like it that my tail is wearing thin
and my feet have become rough from the wire floor?  Or that I smell bad?
How could anyone tell with the awful stench!

I've lived in a tiny cage for three years.  I don't like cages.  No floors,
nothing soft to sleep on but sometimes after my daily meal I got to sleep in
the bowl until it was taken away.

People would come and take me out, then put me back.  Every time I was taken
out I tried to grab and cling to them.  My brothers, sisters and cousins
have been leaving and not coming back.  So many left recently and I haven't
seen them since.  I don't understand what has happened to them and was
afraid it would happen to me too.  A few days ago this hooman came and held
me so close and I didn't want to let her go so I just held on real tight.
When she put me back in the cage I felt so, so sad.  It was happening again.
But wait!  She came back the next day and picked me up again!  This time I
just refused to let go so she had to take me home with her.  She said I
could call her Mom and she was going to take care of me and love me so much.
I have to learn about this thing called love.

I couldn't believe the sights I saw, so many strange things and so
beautiful.  The big sky I'd only heard about before was so bright I almost
couldn't see.  Sooo beautiful... Was I really leaving the hell hole?

I'm not real sure now that I am here with this beautiful lady...am I
dreaming?  No, she has put food and water here for me but I am so afraid of
it.  Is it safe to eat all the time or is it going to disappear again?..  I
don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

I slept my first night in something called a sleep sack.  I've never felt
softness before.  It was such fun rubbing my face on it.  There's even a pan
for my bathroom instead of having to sleep by so many poops.  When Mom takes
me out of the cage I cling to her for about 30-40 minutes while she calms me
and eases my fear.  Then I feel safe that she will still be here if she puts
me down.  When she put me on the floor the first time, I got some courage
and looked around.  I never knew there were so many places to just look and
sniff, so many strange new smells.  So many good smells!  I got down and ran
and ran and ran.  Hey that's fun!!  I had room to walk, room to run and room
to dance!  Oh, dance of Joy!  What is all this freedom?!  I've never had a
chance to run or dance.

After awhile Mom wanted to pick me up.  Didn't want to be picked up.  But my
mom says she could see how tired I was from all the excitement of so many
new things to see and running and running.  I tried to stop her.  No, not an
attack, I just didn't want to go in the cage again.  But Mom held me and
rocked me.  Mom cleaned my ears...lots of black stuff...not itchy.  Cut my
nails, I have paws now.  What about the rest Mom?  It feels so good to have
someone rub my head, and my tummy and..and....zzzzzzzzz.  What sweet dreams,
is all this for real??????

(NOTE: There is a breeder in Illinois that sells ferrets for $20.  These
ferrets are housed in a wooden shed that is closed and locked during the
day.  Temperatures in the shed are over 100 degrees at times.  Currently
there are about 100 ferrets.  Just a couple weeks ago there were close to
200.  The "missing" ferrets are believed to have died.

This situation is quite grave.  We need to raise funds to buy as many as
possible.  The ferrets are housed in 8" wide X 10-" long cages.  Wire mesh.
No flooring/covering.  There are 3 rows of cages suspended from the ceiling
and 2" layers on each row with a board between to prevent "stuff" from
dropping through to the lower level.  The board appears to not have been
cleaned since "hell froze over".  Mostly 2 ferrets to a cage but the smaller
ferrets have 3 to a cage.  Most cages had overflowing, hardened piles of
poop in one corner.  Very small water bottles, 3-6 oz.  maybe.  No food
holders and NO food in the cages.  They are fed Purina once a day only.  Toe
nails are claws.  The fuzzies haven't been handled and many are craving
affection.  The smell is awful.  There are about 100 fuzzies ranging from
kits to around 3 years old.

Several complaints have been filed and the breeder has not been shut down
because there are not enough laws protecting ferrets in IL.  We are
currently working on closing down the breeder but need to move as many
ferrets our as we can NOW.  If you do not want to donate to "buy" these
unfortunate ferrets, that is fine.  If you do then please send your donation
to:

Lynda Reid
105 S. Drake
Manhattan, KS  66503

Lynda is a foster home and active volunteer for Ferret Family Services.  She
was instrumental in the Fredonia rescue.

We do realize that buying the ferrets is not a permanent solution but an
effort to save the ones there now.  The ferrets, dogs and pot bellied pigs
must be removed but this breeder must be shut down or within a few months it
will be the same situation again.  If you haven't received information about
who to contact, please send your request to Jackie <lotawesel>@clds.net or
Beth <[log in to unmask]>

If you live in or near MO or IL, we need help with transportation and foster
homes.  There are several shelters that are willing to take some of the
breeder ferrets and work with them but we'll need transportation to these
shelters.  If you know of Pot Belly Pigs clubs/organizations/mailing lists,
please let us know so that we can contact them for their assistance.