From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:41:31 EST
Many ... well, most Pet Therapy groups do not, will not, and sometimes
cannot utilize ferrets in their programs.  This is because ferrets are
wrongly catogorized as wild or exotic animals in the Pet Therapy
organization, OR in their geographical location, OR more commonly in
their insurance policies.  And hands get tied.  I saw there was some
conversation on the FML about the all too common practice of Americans
catogorizing ferrets incorrectly.  I saw there were some good posts
about how to fight that when necessary.

I was curious... how many states catorgorize ferrets as wild or exotic.
And if a state is correct in their label of ferrets, then can a city...
then go against that and label them differently?  How do state fish and
game departments fit into all this if and when they do?  Is there a place
where I can look this up for each state or something?  How hard is it to
change such incorrect labels when they are found (such as on a state, and
then an insurance level)?

I'm not an activist, I'm just trying to learn and be better informed.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/