From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:15:07 -0500
Estrogen toxicosis is under discussion on the FML (where it began),
Ferret-Genetics, and the FHL, too.  (Okay, I admit that it excited
me deeply because I think there may be an opportunity here to use
genetics to improve ferret health.)

As is to be expected with something that has a 50/50 chance of
presentation the experiences vary, from those (anywhere) who have not
encountered it to those (anywhere) who have.

I DO know that many years ago, even with fewer ferrets and less internet
participation by ferret people, the reports of such deaths were higher.
To me it seems that the awareness that this risk exists has helped save
ferrets who would otherwise have been lost.  The reports of deaths from
estrogen toxicosis secondary to adrenal growths also seem to be going
down a lot.  I can think of only three definite ones (but who knows about
the sadly untreated adrenal ferrets who also passed away) off hand that I
heard of last year, so I think that ferret people and their vets are
learning more and responding more effectively than in past years.

I really had my curiosity peaked by Chris's UK observation in the FML
that in one club it was less likely to happen in the fist heat than when
older than that.  Guess what I found afterward?  In _Ferrets, Rabbits and
Rodents_ (U.S.) I found that when an ovarian remnant causes estrogen
toxicosis that also tends to not occur until a ferret is past the age of
one year.  It's in the first paragraph of that section in the 2nd edition
on page 47.  Isn't it great to see validation of an observation?  I
wonder why the older ones are more vulnerable?

Also, and this will feel like shades of adrenal discussions, there is
a mention in one of the vet texts about reduction by providing enough
darkness, so husbandry practices appear to play a part.  Again, page 47
of that text: 8 hours of light, 16 hours of darkness.  (Also page 218 of
_Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_)

It seems like this may be a situation in which breeding choices might be
used to genetically reduce the rate of a health problem.

Interesting topic and perhaps an interesting opportunity for breeders to
use genetics to improve ferret health.  I am very glad this subject was
raised.

MC's post points out something which has been shown over, and over, and
over again: that in so very many mammals exercise of the body and of the
mind have over and over again been proven (Yes, the word can be safely
used on this score.) to be a major mainstay of good health.  The studies
go on and on in so many species with everything from greater mental
acuity for longer, to reduced malignancy rates, to fewer accidents, to
improved longevity, and so much more.  So, whether or not a person is
comfortable with the TYPE of exercise, the bottom line is that physical
and mental exercise are incredibly important, so one way or another it is
important to try to provide them.  For some people that is easier than
others due to multiple factors from space, to schedules, to health, etc.,
but for all households it is important that they have enough exercise
*within the parameters the treating vet feels is right for the
individual*.  (Sadly, not all medical condition permit exercise.)

[P.S.]
I just got a note from Dr. Jerry Murray

In addition to resources already mentioned he recommends also reading
the following studies:

Aplastic anemia associated with estrus in pet ferrets.
JAVMA 178:1293-1294, 1981 by Kociba GJ and Caputo CA.

Estrogen-induced bone marrow depression in ferrets.
AM J VET RES Vol 44 No 4 April 1983 p657-660 by
Bernard SL, Leathers CW, Brobst DF, and Gorham JR.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
   private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org