From:
sargentcolburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 11:28:25 -0400
Dear Ferret Folks-
Ever since Switch the Kit came to live with us in December we have been
having, well, redecorating issues.  Switch obviously believes that as
she LIVES in her cage (overnight, anyway) she has a right to move things
around as she deems appropriate.  This is fine in theory, it is messy in
application.

The ladies have a nice, sturdy Midwestern cage with a ramp connecting
the two levels.  They mostly keep to the top level, and that is the one
Switch redecorates, mostly when she is mad at me for some reason, like
being returned to the cage before she is ready, the level of the chow
drops too low in the bowl for her liking, or she just gets a bug up her
a** and starts throwing stuff.

When she gets going, she has been known to hurl the food dish down the
ramp, where it crashes into the first at high velocity, spilling expensive
nuggests of weasel chow EVERYWHERE.  They don't just pile up on the bottom
level, oh, no.  A sheet of them sprays out through the bars and covers the
floor in front of the cage.  When she really has to make an artistic or
political statement about her living conditions, she works the corner pan
free and hurls that down the ramp, too.  I have about a dozen metal and
plastic clips holding the pan to the bars, trying to stifle her right to
freedom of expression, but in the dark of the night she works at them,
one by one.

Until THIS morning, heh, heh!  Because last night I took an old, ratty
hammock and positioned it to hang at the bottom of the ramp.  This morning
I looked into the cage to find.....a corner pan sitting upright in that
hammock, with a half-empty food bowl upright on top of it.  In her
upstairs hammock like a little dog sitting on her back haunches glaring
at me was oooone p*****-off little weasel.  Or polecat.  Or whatever she
is.  There was no jumble of food and yesterday's news pellets and the
occasional still-moist land mine on the floor in front of the cage.  No
hazards to bare feet.  No mess to clean up.  I simply re-clipped the pan
into it's corner and dropped the food dish into it's holder.  While she
watched, vibrating.

I win! I win! I win! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Alexandra in Massachusetts

Switch the Kit: "Why, you,...(!)
Sabrina the Blind Bat-Biter: "It's your own fault for
expressing your inner child with corner pans."