From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 00:14:09 -0400
>    There was a histerical caller on radio station WAAF in Boston today that
>said that a police officer had just been to her door and had seized her ferret,
>taken it to  the end of her street and shot it.  Does anyone know any more
>about this ?????

-----------------

       Brad, I'll take the credit for the original post.  My wife heard
about it at work and called the station for information (ended up on the air
too, ((blush))), but apparently was able to make some pretty effective
points in spite of the situation, according to those who heard it.  The
person who made the call did not leave her name according to the station.

        We also called the Leominster Police Dept (508) 534-7560.  The
Officer answering the phone would "neither confirm nor deny" the incident,
but suggested that we might like to speak to a Lt Polleckia (sp?) who was
not in at the moment.  They paged him after a second call later in the day
when he was on duty, but he never answered his page.

---------------
        There couldn't be a better reason than that one to work for the
passage of the ferret law im Mass.  Contrary to our earlier expectations the
bill WAS sent again this year to Ways & Means.  The good news is that it is
at least six months earlier than last year when it was sent to Ways and
Means, and this year the Humane Society has withdrawn its objections, saying
that they were based on incorrect information (about the ability of feral
colonies to be maintained).

        Rep Jones (the Sponsor) doesn't expect that it will be as difficult
this time either, though of course we don't want to take anything for
granted.  He also said that contacting anyone on Ways & Means would be
counter productive at the moment as they are deep into the budget process,
and wouldn't even pick this bill up until at least the middle of April.  He
allowed as how now might be a good time to get some letters written and/or
petitions made and placed in pet stores etc, so they could be ready to go
after Monday April 17th.

        Dick Bossart has also suggested that we contact animal shelters and
or humain societies in our areas to see how many ferrets that they have
handled over the past several years. and if they have had any problems with
them.  We could do a lot by anticipating peoples concerns and fears, and
preparing to overcome them.

        Don't hide under a rock, let us know of your ideas.