From:
Ingrid Rhinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:45:39 -0600
Hello everyone,

Sorry for not getting this update out right away - things have been a
little crazy.

The hearing for HB 1136 (The Ferret Protection Act) was on Thursday,
March 11th in Annapolis.  It seemed to go very well.  Of course, we won't
know for sure until they vote, which is likely to happen in the next
couple weeks.  There were approximately 30 people in attendance to show
support and about 10 proponents testified.  There was verbal testimony by
representatives from MD Ferret PAWS, Rocky's Ferret Shelter, the American
Ferret Association, Dr. Gold from Chadwell Animal Hospital, Animal
Control of Prince George's County, the Maryland Veterinary Medical
Association, the Baltimore Ferret Club, as well as some individual
testimony.  We had written support and testimony from the Humane Society
of the United States, and the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Thanks to everyone who came to show their support!

There were also several people who were opposed to HB 1136.  They were
mostly private pet store owners who denied any correlation between early
altering and adrenal gland disease.  One young lady even stated that her
ferret died at age 1 = years but denied that it was related to early
spay or neuter.  Fortunately, we had already provided the Delegates with
documentation supporting this, so the oppositional testimony seemed weak.

If you are a MD resident, it s not too late to show your support and
contact Delegate Cluster who sponsored The Ferret Protection Act and/or
your local Delegate.  Look up your delegate at:
http://mdelect.net/lookup.asp.

They are expected to vote in the next 1-2 weeks.  Assuming it passes the
House, it will then go to the Senate.  If it passes the Senate, it will
go to Governor Erlich to be signed into law.  If it gets that far, it
will become law on October 1, 2004.  Thanks to everyone who has helped
so far.  Let s make it happen!

Ingrid Rhinehart
Secretary
Maryland Ferret Protection and Welfare Society
www.mdferretpaws.org