From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 19:33:54 -0500
In a previous post I had written:
>>In my area it has been confirmed by many pet stores that MF sells to them
>>at $44 per ferret - plus shipping - & the stores retrieve them at the
>>airport.  I know a few local breeders that also sell to pet stores & get
>>$65 - $85 per kit (and they hand deliver).

MC posted:
>Yes, $44.00 per ferret, but don't forget the Delta Dash charge to get those
>ferrets into your area.  At last check, D.D.  was $162 something for 1 to
>50 pounds, and 2 hundred something for 51 to 70 pounds.  So, the cost per
>ferret is going to be substantially higher, depending on how many ferrets
>were shipped.

I understand there are shipping costs.  I guess my point is why would pet
stores support MF by obtaining their kits when they can get them for the
same price, if not cheaper, from a local breeder?  I realize that local
breeders cannot often supply at the rate MF can.

Maybe a way to stop MF is to stop their clients - inform pet stores that
purchase from them what exactly MF is doing.  I wonder if this would work?

In reguards to tattoos:
The vet I use insists on tatooing all ferrets he alters.  He tells me it is
so he can tell he did it.  Well, he just puts a dot for spay/neuter and a
dot for descent.  Well that is two dots!  I have him out them in the left
ear so my ferrets are not confused as MFs later down the line (not that they
look anything like MFs, but .  .  .  ).  I have asked him if he could put
only one in, but he deals with another breeder that distributes to pet
stores that uses that.  Any suggestions?  I need a way to tell them apart!
But I don't want mine confused with any big "mills".  BTW - I do NOT sell to
pet stores.  I have thought of three dots, but I think that is going too
far.

Thanks