From:
Kyle Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:32:02 -0700
Hi there.

I just received my first issue and I love the great stories and helpful
info.  Pam gave me the address to subscribe to the list...thanks Pam!

My six year old has had cataracts that my vet refuses to even think about
removing.  "Too difficult of a surgery for such a small animal."  This
is fine, I would rather have a blind ferret than no ferret at all.  The
problem is that "Ferret" (yes, this is his name..doesn't my creativity
shine through?) has become completely blind and has now stopped going to
his litter box for his potty time.  I have not changed his cage and he
will occasionally make his way to it to go to the bathroom, but 90% of
the time, he goes elsewhere in the cage, including into his food and
water bowl.  My first step is to change his water bowl into a bottle, but
this won't solve the problem.  He has a younger brother "Bear" who will
go to the litter box until he smells where Ferret has gone and will also
go there.  Is this a territorial battle or are they just becoming
habitual litter box missers?

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.  The mishap cleanup time
of their enormous cage has taken up so much time that I don't spend
nearly as much time with them playing games and doing fun things.

I was also wondering if anybody had some good ideas on setting up the
cage (but not changing it drastically) to make it easier for him to find
his litter box.  I know he should be relying on sense of smell, but I am
at a loss of what to do.

PLEASE HELP.  I want to spend more time with them, not cleaning up after
them.

Kyle, Ferret, & Bear