From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 12:34:35 EST
     To the FML -

        For the last several years, the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
     has been accepting tumor submissions, autopsy samples, and various
     other submissions from vets and owners and processing them free of
     charge.

        While we do not intend at this time to discontinue this service,
     due to the tremendous number of cases that are arriving daily, we feel
     that we have to scale back on the submissions so that we (I) have time
     to do our "real" job - teaching, disease research, environmental
     disaster investigation, and performing second opinions on cases for
     veterinary schools and practicing pathologists around the world.

        Additionally, as the expert on ferret disease in the Department, I
     have to personally review each and every case that goes out in the
     Department.

        At this time, a large percentage of the cases ar routine insulinoma
     and adrenal gland submissions.  A third very common submission are
     splenic aspirates and biopsies.  Because there are enough pathologists
     out there that can diagnose these very common ferret neoplasms, we
     have decided to no longe accept these cases, in order that we have the
     time to concentrate on other, more interesting cases for which
     expertise is limited.

        Another ongoing problem now at the AFIP for ferret cases is the
     turnaround time.  While I try to get all surgicals out in a week or
     less, as I know that you are waiting for your results, sometimes the
     cases end up languishing on the shelf for a month or even more.  As
     ferrets are an interest, I have many other missions at work - such as
     teaching, my currentl research into epizootic catarrhal enteritis of
     ferrets, my work with the Insitute's computers, and my duties as an
     officer of the U.S. Army.  So I have made the arrangement with my
     bosses that I will try to scale back on the "routine" submissions....

        I don't want to just come in and cut off a lot of people, so I want
     to at least try to offer a solution.  (BIG - I know I'm walking a thin
     line here, but it's not meant as a business offer, but a way to help
     people on the FML...)

        Since 1992 I have operated my own civilian pathology service,
     AccuPath, providing low-cost pathology service for veterinarians.  As
     I am the only employee, my prices are considerably lower than any
     other lab that I know of.  An addition to ferrets, I do all of the
     other species here (including dogs, cats, and other pet species.), and
     of course, I read all of the cases myself.  Additionally, I turn all
     of the cases around within ONE working day of receiving the tissues,
     much fster than I can at AFIP because of the volume.  Case results are
     faxed or phoned to the vet as soon as they are read out.

        I offer this as a possibility for people who want a faster
     turnaround on their cases or have routine pancreatic, adrenal, or
     splenic cases that they want evaluated.

        If you or your vet are interested in trying this service for your
     ferret cases, or your other pets, please email me off of the FML, or
     call (301) 299-8041 for more information.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       OR [log in to unmask]           Washington, D.C.  20306-6000
            (202) 782-2600/2602