From:
One of the Ways <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:08:05 -0000
I read somewhere in the past a discussion of Totally Ferret, and don't want
to open up the whole discussion of it's advantages/disadvantages again, as
so many people have strong opinions on it.  However------ could someone who
feeds it please respond to this question: I seem to remember that it was
recommended to be refrigerated, and had an offensive smell, at least to
some.  What's your experience as users?

We use Mazuri, and it seems to really help our two, but stinks (to me) to
high heaven.  I don't like the smell at all, but the appearance of their
coats, and size of litter pile is good.

Litter pans, and accuracy.  We use 5"x5" rewashable felt pads (fortunate
enough to have a free supply) in the back corner of their cage, and they hit
it everytime.  We also put at least one in the corner of each room, two in
large rooms.  It's an easy thing to shake the poop into a garbage bag, put
the soiled pad in a coffee can (sorta like a diaper pail), and wash weekly.
The ferrets poop itself doesn't have an odor, and if forgotten or missed,
dries to a firm, powdery form quickly.  Maybe using litter pans "traps" the
odor in, and doesn't allow it to evaporate and dry.  As I said their food
stinks, but their poop doesn't.  Strange maybe, but it works.  That's why I
ask about Totally Ferret, don't want to upset the balance we have now.  Our
problem is our supply isn't too reliable in keeping it in stock, and
sometimes, we don't get the same kind twice.  It seems to vary from bad to
bag, they must get it in large bags and rebag it into 5 lb.  bags.  It's a
farm supply store, so they deal in bulk items.

Oh yes, suffered the dreaded crash and burn last week, along with a forced
reformat, so lost all our stored e-mail, plus had to open a new IPS account,
with a new address, so if any one has our address in their address book, it
needs to be changed.  Used to be Ferretway [log in to unmask]

Harold and Diana,
Tigger and Puddin'
visit our homepage at
www.geocities.com/heartland/7340