Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 06:48:04 -0500
Joseph posted;
>My ferret,Smokey, has made really good friends with a cat [who] showed
>up...with his back 2 feet all torn up.  We think he was hit by a car.
>What should I do?  My parents don't think it is that bad, but i do.  I
>have him hidden in my bathroom.  Plaes help."

[To the FML: I have also sent this directly, but I didn't want to take the
chance of Joseph missing the response.  Sorry for posting it on the FML
(where the original question was posted)].

Hi Joseph.  How are you?  Do you mind if I ask how old are you?  I hope you
are not offended if I think you are a young person because the sincerity
and love of animals you show in your letter shows me how mature you are.
Smokey is lucky to have a friend like you.  So, because I do not know for
sure how old you are, I will assume you live at home with your parents and
you are not yet an adult.  I hope that is all right with you.

I am not going to tell you it is ok to disobey your parents if they have
already told you what to do.  That would be wrong and no one should ever do
that.  But I do think it is ok if I make some suggestions which might help
the cat.  Now, I am not sure, but because you didn't tell us the cat's name
and because you are hiding the cat in your bathroom, it seems like you
don't actually own the cat.  Is it a stray or a cat that just hangs around
your house?  It could be that this cat is owned by someone who is missing
it right now and is wondering where it is.  You should (with your parent's
permission) ask or call around your neighborhood to see if someone is
missing a cat.  Maybe someone has already put up a "lost cat" poster or
something.

Joseph, I cannot tell you what is wrong with that cat because I can't see
it.  But I can ask you a question which should give you the answer.  Do
your parents lie to you?  If your parents do not lie to you, then I'll bet
you a quarter they are telling you the truth and the cat will be ok.  Cats
are pretty tough and I've seen plenty that look hurt really bad but they
turn out ok.  If your parents do not lie to you, then the cat is probably
just skinned up and just needs some time to get better.  I'll bet your
parents don't lie and the cat will be ok.  What do you think?

Do you know why I think your parents don't lie to you?  Because they let
you own a ferret, that's why!  That means your parents like animals AND
they trust you to take care of one.  Your parents must like animals a lot,
so I don't think they would let a cat die just because it was hit by a car.
Do you?

Now Joseph, here's the thing.  If your parents find out you are hiding the
cat in your bathroom, they might want you to take it outside, right?  And
you are scared that no one will help the cat and it could die from an
infection or because it is hurt too bad, right?  Well, if you ask around in
the neighborhood to see if anyone lost a cat and the answer is no, then you
can tell your parents and maybe they will let you take care of the cat
until it is better.  Or, if you can tell your parents that no one owns the
cat, then maybe they can call a cat shelter and someone who really loves
cats can come at take it home with them and they can take care of the cat's
wounds.  That would be ok, wouldn't it?  To let someone who really loves
cats take it home with them so it can have a home all it's own, just like
Smokey?  If I was a cat, I would like that!

Joseph, I'll make a deal with you.  See my email address at the top of this
post?  (it is [log in to unmask]).  You can send me an email and I'll write
you back and send you my phone number.  You can tell your parents they can
call me collect, or with your parent's permission, you can call me collect
and I will help you with that cat.  I can tell them what to do if it is
really hurt, or I can help them find that cat a really good home.  Is that
a good deal?  It is up to you!  Joseph, I already know how kind and caring
you are to animals.  I bet your parents are the same way.  My guess is the
cat will be ok.  But if that cat needs a home, I will help you find one.
I promise.  OK?

Bob Church

PS: I own 16 ferrets and they run all over the place!  I call them floor
monkeys.  They are crazy.  You write me, ok?

Moderator's note: Nice post, but straying a bit from ferrets now.  With
the exception of a final follow-up if one is warranted, please let's drop
it for now.  Thanks, BIG]