From:
Kelly Trythall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:53:16 EDT
Dear Solvers of All Problems Ferret-Related-

My four year old black sable male has been "not quite himself" for a few
weeks.  He had adrenal surgery last year this time.  He's aggressive, but
being the alpha it's only a moderate increase in his normal behavior.  He
is losing weight.  He seems to be stuck in the middle of shedding.  He has
summer fur from head to hips and winter fur on hips and tail.  He speed
bumps more than normal and seems to sleep more.  Eating, drinking and
pooping well when I separated him to monitor things.

The vet wanted to wait a few weeks to see if the weight loss and aggression
could be due to seasonal changes.  His bloodwork checked out fine and he
had lost a little weight.  When I called back a few days later still
concerned, he said to monitor him to determine if he was losing weight or
muscle mass.  He said that they can be caused by other ailments in addition
to adrenal.  Call him back when I had more info as to his eating habits and
weight gain or loss.  Well, I don't know how to tell whether he is losing
muscle mass or not.  His back end above his hips seems to be sagging in a
little bit.  (Don't know how else to describe it.)

What else can it be?  He isn't losing hair that I can tell.  His appetite
is good.  I don't want to put him through an unnecessary surgery, but I am
concerned.  We've discussed doing the Tennessee panel.  Is now the time to
do that?  I want to call the vet and discuss, but I'd like to have some
more background.  It's been about 4 weeks since we've been to the vet.  How
long do you wait to rule out seasonal problems?

Help.  I tend to be a bit paranoid and protective with Teddy.  Mostly he
seems fine...but I just have a feeling.

Kelly

Cece (finally someone who's my size to wrestle with)
Teddy (I'm perfectly fine ..just let me show that little one who's
boss..aww...not another time out mom)
Sidney (hey why does everyone keep calling me fat...I'm big-boned)
Jack (Mmmm ..corn pops...and milk..don't mind if I help myself)
Angel (Cece runs pretty fast for an old lady but that bottle brush tail
doesn't intimidate me one bit...little one hmmph)
Sasha (waiting at the bridge)