From:
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 08:55:12 -0700
>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Galaxy D debate
>Solvay has sold the Galaxy-D line to Shering Plough.  At this time the
>formulation has reverted back and Galaxy D is now being developed from the
>original chick embryo just as Fromm-D was.  Of course I could have
>misunderstood, best bet is to check with Shering-Plough.

Knew about the sale (and the intermediate owner American Home Products only
to permit them to buy the rest of Solvay) but the formulation change is
news.  Good news if true.  Not sure if they legally could just change
formulas like that without formal permission of regulatory agencies (USDA).

Didn't know the sale of the Galaxy (canine vaccine line) and the two feline
vaccine lines (Eclipse and Fevaxyn) included discontinued products.  Doesn't
seem all that likely but certainly possible.  Would have expected the
FROMM-D rights to go to Fort Dodge (as part of American Home Products) since
FROMM-D was not an active part of the Galaxy canine line.

Maybe we ought to ask Fort Dodge?  If the got the rights to FROMM-D they
could finish its testing and get it approved as their product.

>While you are at it , why not drop Shering-Plough a note and ask them to
>persue testing for ferrets!!!  If they know you are out there, and want this
>vaccine, they just MIGHT do it!!!!

BINGO!  Exactly the right course.  We as a ferret owning community should
convince them that we will support them as soon as they get the product
tested.  This is something all the ferret groups agree on.  Some want to
support them before testing but all will support them after testing and many
would gladly switch from Fervac-D to an approved Galaxy-D or back to an
approved and reintroduced version of FROMM-D.

>After all you are the paying public.  Just my .02 worth.

One reason we choose NOT to support Galaxy-D use is that we should not give
them money until they give us support.

And that was a good couple of pennies from you , Alicia.

>From:    Fran L'Heureux <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Trophy Top

Ask about "mink".  Ferret looking tops are certainly available but they look
a lot like mink as well.  Who knows what the trophy folks think a ferret
looks like.

>From:    "J.A vd Linde" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF-insulinoma

Insulinoma is not a Marshall ferret thing.  It appears in ferrets from all
sources here in the US.  Along with the adrenal tumors and lymphsarcomas.

Could be environmental.  Could be genetic since most ferrets here either in
or out of Marshall farms are of the same genetic stock.  Many many hobby
bred ferrets can be traced back to Marshall when they sold whole animals
twenty years ago.  Its in my database dervide from show catalogs and
pedigrees from other breeders.  We are bringing in European and Australian
ferrets to diversify the genetics - maybe it will help.

>From: "Michael A. Bostrom" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The definitive answer to cages or not

Saw the subject line and was scared.  But thanks for lightening up that
discussion nicely.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/