Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:43:46 -0800
>From:    Kaye FitzGerald Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: diets
>
>I don't recall saying that James Wellbeloved food had herring in it's top 3
>ingredients.......but I may have inadvertantly given that impression.
>Poultry meat meal,ground whole wheat,soya oil,blood meal,chicken
>digest,herring meal,poultry fat,sugar beet pulp,ground whole linseed...
>Typical analysis;protein 36%,oil 19%,fibre 2%,ash 8.8%....

Two points: I assume that the reference to 19% "oil" is what we'd call "fat"
in US-packaged feed.  If so, this stuff looks to be possibly a damn fine
fert-feed.  20% fat in US-packaged feed is considered good, and I doubt 1%
would matter.

The protein sources look OK, protein % at 36 is excellent...the ash content
is slightly higher than some other feeds...does anybody else know if that
8.8% ash # should be a concern?  Starch base of wheat is odd but should be
better than corn?  Dunno if it's better than rice though...

If I had a hard time scoring Iams Kitten, Totally Ferret or other "known
good" ferret feeds I'd definitely consider this stuff.  I'd also be
monitoring weight, activity levels and fur quality very carefully, as with
any new feed.  MaxCat Kitten failed such tests, although it didn't look
quite as nice as this on paper.

Jim March

 For a wild true story of crooked cops, stolen guns, perjury, fraud
 and false criminal charges, see http://www.infinex.com/~jmarch