From:
"Paula E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:18:46 -0600
The current issue of "Critters" magazine has articles about showing ferrets,
and a huge piece on sugar gliders, as well as stuff on pot-bellied pigs,
hedgehogs, rats, mice, hamsters, and more.  Sugar Gliders are nocturnal
marsupials, very small, and extremely cute.  I am a zoo-parent to the sugar
gliders at my local zoo.

From the above mentioned article by Pat Storer:
"Sugar gliders are tiny gliding oppossums from Indonesia, New Guinea, New
Zealand, and Austrailia.  Wild sugar gliders live in colonies of 6 to 15
animals in tree hollows or other nests made of vegetation in forested areas
containing eucalyptus, gum, and other trees.  They soend daylight hours
cuddling in their nest.  Early evening and night will find them foraging for
food and protecting their tree.

"An adult sugar glider is about the size of a hamster or flying swuirrel,
approximately 5 to 7 inches long from the tip of its nose to the base of its
tail.  Adults in proper body condition weigh between 3 and 4 ounces.  The
tail is fluffy, often curls on the end, and is usually longer than the body
length."

There is a lot more to the article. If anyone is interested, email me
personally and I will transcribe more.

I think I recall *someone* on the FML also raises sugar gliders.  If I am
correct in this, would that person please email me?  I am very interested in
learning more about them.

Actually, I just subscribed to a daily digest devoted to sugar gliders.  I
found it by using the search terms 'sugar glider' using the Yahoo!  search
engine.

(BIG, I hope this is attributed in a way that is appropriate for the FML.
Please let me know if I need to change it for posting. Thanks.)

Paula
Charlotte & Kitka

[Moderator's note: Yes, short pieces of an article are fine.  BIG]