From:
Casey's Mom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 14:33:53 -0400
Hi all,

I am new to this ferret stuff, so please bear with me.

Is there any stigma at all in a breeder selling her ferrets to pet shops?
That may be an incredibly dumb question, but the reason I ask is that if you
are a reputable dog breeder you would sooner throw yourself in front of a
speeding train than sell a pup to a pet shop.  "Slimey dough-head" would be
a term used freely by your fellow breeders to *compliment* you, etc.

The reasons that reputable dog breeders don't sell to pet shops seem, to me,
to be valid reasons to not sell ferrets to pet shops, either.  The only one
I can think of that doesn't apply is if you make sure to spay/neuter before
selling (early spay and neuter not being common in puppies) to prevent
irresponsible breeding down the line.  Are there any breeders on the list
who won't sell to pet shops and why not?  For those who do sell to pet
shops, do you have any concerns (like the fact that any one with a whim
and a VISA can walk home with one of your babies?)

Curious Casey wants to know...