From:
Stephani Pasterchick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 16:16:16 -0400

Hi everyone! I just adopted Princess, a female sable ferret, about two
months ago, when she was about seven weeks old, from a pet store. I've got
two questions about her health, one that's new, one that's been ongoing
since I've had her.

1.  The last day or so Princess' stool has been kind of soft and looks a
little greenish and mucusy - mostly brown, but a greenish tinge.  She ate
part of a red sweatshirt a week ago, but passed it and seemed fine; she
eats a mix of 8-in-1 ferret, MF ferret, and Iams kitten; and a few days ago
I started giving her Ferretone, a little bit once a day.  She loves it -
could that be affecting her stomach?  How long should I wait before taking
her to the vet?  She was just at the vet's a week or two ago for her shots
and was proclaimed in good health.

2. My other question seemed to stump the vet.  Several times a day, sometimes
when she's eating, sometimes not, Princess starts wheezing or coughing.  It
sounds terrible, like a smoker's wheeze.  My byfriend has had ferrets since
I've known him (3 years) and I've never heard one wheeze like this.  Any
ideas?

Thanks!
Stephanie and
Princess ("But it's my JOB to knock all the food out of the dish!")

(PS - regarding kids and ferrets - my six-year-old niece met Princess the
other day and Princess, in playing, nipped her ankle in an effort to
attack my niece's evil sock... My niece's comment (to my anxious mother
and sister) was "Aw, it didn't hurt anything like when Shrinky bit me!"
"Shrinky" is a hamster. <grin>)