From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:23:52 -0400
I wrote a message noting that how vaccines behave in one animal does
not mean that they will provide the sufficient protection for long
enough in other species:

>That is why one of the rabies vaccines which was tested for use
>in ferrets because it worked so well and so long in dogs wound up
>providing ONLY 6 months of protection when challenge studies were
>done.

Amy replied:

>The current vaccines used in ferrets have proven track records for
>providing protection.

Yes, but the DURATION can vary for any given vaccine and animal
species, so generalizing from dogs and cats isn't safe. That is EXACTLY
why the studies are going on, because the current testing to know how
long the tested vaccines are good for in ferrets has only been done for
a year (or less in the case of Galaxy D though its predecessor, Fromme
D, had been tested for a year).

Is it possible that longer protection that a year is conferred? Yes, it
is. Do we accurately know how long that space of time is? NO.

***** IS THERE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHANGE THAT?*****

YES!

First, getting a good enough sample of titer results is needed. YOU CAN
HELP!

Then, just what those titer results mean in ferrets must be discovered
with challenge studies.

Then we will all have the info we need -- for each vaccine for which
this applies -- we will know how long beyond one year that ferrets can
go between their Canine Distemper Vaccines.

*****THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY.*****

IT IS THE CHANCE FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTPONED VACCINES OR WORRIED
ABOUT VACCINES OR REACTIONS TO HELP GET THE DATA NEEDED TO SAFELY
BROACH THEIR CONCERNS ON HOW LONG THEY CAN SAFELY GO BETWEEN THEIR
FERRETS' CANINE DISTEMPER VACCINES AND STILL PROVIDE PROTECTION!

If you can't help with the data then help with the funding. If you
can help with both then more power to you!

See here:

http://www.ferret.org/news/07-april-titer_study.shtm

Give these documents to your vets and, please, participate!

http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/titer_study_dr_ruth_letter.pdf

http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/titer_study_data_sheet.pdf

http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/titer_study_cornell_form.pdf

distemper vaccines.

Opportunities are rare. This one is a really big opportunity. KNOWING
will mean not having to use guesswork that amounts to chosing between
the risk of not being protected and the fears that some have of
vaccines and that all have of reactions. It will mean knowing how long
-- how many years -- healthy ferrets can safely go between canine
distemper vaccinations and still be protected. It can also mean getting
a better handle on those things which reduce protection for others.

When Dame Fortune smiles snatch her up!

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: