From:
Saskia Visser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:47:14 +0000
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Yes, Sukie you are right!
>
>I have to admit I never saw Foxy and have no ideal what shape she was
>in, but if Cathy Johnson Delaney told me that I needed to put a ferret
>to sleep I would trust her judgment completely!  I don't think any vet
>puts an animal to sleep if there's any possibility that they can heal
>the animal...
>
>As for the shelter.  In the past 5 years that the shelter has been open
>we have rescued over 3,000 ferrets and found homes for all ferrets that
>have been adoptable...
>
>I hear so much conflict between shelters and people here on the FML.  It
>is so sad, since we are all here to help the ferrets.  We should all be
>working together for the benefit of all ferrets and shelters.

All this is very well, and like everyone else I do not know the full
story.  I agree that the study is of vital importance but I would be
very upset if I dropped of my ferret for a Lupron shot and came back to
find it euthanized.  And I doubt if any of you would feel differently
about it.  NO MATTER WHAT, THE OWNER SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONTACTED OR
ATLEAST TRIED TO BE CONTACTED BEFORE THE FERRET WAS EUTHANIZED IF IT WAS
NECESSARY TO DO SO.  LEGALLY I believe a consent form has to be signed!!
I also doubt, if Sandy runs a shelter, that she would not notice that
the ferret was so ill that it should be euthanized.  I guess it would be
interesting to see what the forms she was supposed to or did get said, I
think that is very important as to the legal aspects of this case.

As for the washington ferret shelter and rescue, I don't think Sandy said
anything bad about them per se, it sounds more like they got stuck in the
middle of this mess, and I am sure everyone is aware of the need of good
ferret shelters like them.  In anycase it all sounds a little fishy to me
and I hope it all gets sorted out.  If Dr. Johnson-Delaney, and I mean a
big IF, did euthanzie without consent and the animal was not sick to the
point that euthanasia was required, she should be brought before the
board.  No matter how great a doctor she is, we are all accountable for
our actions.  I hope this is a case of miscommunication or not reading
the fine print but I think both Dr. Johnson-Delaney and Sandy have lost a
lot.  I hope that both the aforementioned(as well as the readers of the
FML)will be able to learn from this experience and may it never happen to
any of us.

Saskia