From:
Monica Nickolichuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:33:51 -0800
Hi everyone from Prince George, BC Canada!

My ferret Scooter (5 yrs old DEW) has a blocked salivary gland.  She has
had it for over a year.  The saliva in that side of the mouth backs up and
creates a pouch under the skin, making a bubble.  I take her to the vet
regularly to have it drained.  It doesn't appear to hurt her as she is
her usual wild self.

Has anyone else experienced this with their fert?  I have enquired about
surgery but there is no guarantee since the vet is unsure if the gland
can even be found due to the small size.  The vet has offered to put in a
tube that would regularly drain the saliva from the pocket, but then it
would drain down her face.  This doesn't sound hygienic and I worry about
infections.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.
Monica Nickolichuk and 'Miss Scooter'