From:
Lisa Marszalek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:43:39 EST
Our ferret Gus just turned 5 years old this month.  He has been losing
fur and chewing at himself from the age of 2 years.  At two years old,
we had the Tenn. Panel run and it came back normal...no adrenal disease.
He has been off and on of pred. (for the itching) for about 2 years now
and this year he has lost almost all of his fur.  I thought adrenal for
sure so we had the test done again two weeks ago and it came back normal
again.  No adrenal!

Now, don't get me wrong...I am thrilled but at the same time my ferret
is bald and itching like crazy.  He has been on the same food for 5 years
of his life...never changed.  We have not changed any cleaning products
or detergents in the past 5 years.  I have not used different shampoo on
him and he only gets one or two baths a year.  I can't figure out what is
making him so itchy or why he has lost all of his fur.  His torso is bald
(all but a spike of fur along his spine), the backs of his back legs, and
his tail.  His head still has fur as does his legs, belly, and feet.  It
is very odd and I can't figure it out.  We have three other ferrets and
all are just fine.  Very full fluffy coats.  Usually a bald ferret is an
adrenal ferret but not with Gus.  Now I am stumped...any thoughts???

Thanks...
Lisa Hissong and my very itchy Gus