Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:37:11 -0800
dd dd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>1.How often do ferrets bite?

Baby ferrets can be a bit nippy until you teach them to be careful with
human skin.  If you are consistent and gentle in your training you should
have an adult ferret that does not bite.  Of course there are always
exceptions, but a ferret that is handled gently will usually be gentle in
return.  This is one of the many benefits to getting an older ferret from a
shelter - they are usually nip trained and the shelter operator can give
you lots of clues into the ferret's personality, and match you up with a
ferret that is just right for you!

>2.will a ferret rip up the carpet?

Ferrets do like to dig, but it's easy to put down plastic runners to
protect the carpet.  And if you give them something that's OK for them to
dig in, such as a box filled with rice or dirt or shredded paper, you
should be able to keep your carpets safe.  You just have to be aware of
their natural instincts and provide a safe way for them to act them out.

>3.IS taking the ferret to the vet a big deal

Baby ferrets need a series of distemper shots, as well as a rabies shot.
These cannot be given all at the same time, so it does require a series of
trips to the vets.  After that, it's only necessary to go in once a year
for checkups and booster shots unless something unexpected comes up.

>4.how bad do ferrets smell and can u light insence

Ferrets do have a musky odor, but if you keep their litterbox and bedding
clean the smell should be minimal.  You can light incense, or I will
occassionally light scented candles up out of the cats and ferrets reach,
but I would recommend you do it only in a well ventilated area as I suspect
it may not be real good (for us or the critters) to be breathing that stuff
in for long periods of time.

>5.how would u tell when they get a furball ?

Sometimes a ferret will hack or cough if they have a furball, or if it's
real serious it can cause a blockage requiring surgery - the same is true
for a cat.  You can give ferrets a weekly cat hariball rememdy to keep
furballs under control.  I give mine some every few days, they think it's
a great treat.

Have you been here yet: http://www.ferretcentral.org/
It's a great site, tons of info!!

Star

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
(from The Essential Rumi, translations by Coleman Barks with John Moyne,
1995)